Friday, June 20, 2014

Five on Friday | On Being Pregnant at Disneyland

Happy Friday! I'm linking up with April & Co today for a little Five on Friday fun! I'm bending the rules a little bit and making all five on the same topic.

So, this summer I found myself on a long pre planned Disneyland vacation with my in-laws. Something I had been begging for, for years. I hadn't been since I was seven years old, long before California Adventure had been built and back when I was terrified of going on rides.

We were so excited to find out that I had finally gotten pregnant only weeks before we were supposed to go on our trip. I immediately started Googling what rides I could go on and only found a bunch of forums with ladies fighting with each other about being selfish, terrible mothers for even thinking about rides at a time like this. Yikes. Spare yourself that drama. 

Anyway, I decided to make it easy and just stayed away from any of the rides that Disney has dubbed unsafe for pregnant women. {Read: all of the good ones}. This doesn't mean that your trip can't be fun. I will admit I was pretty bummed at first but found some acceptable ways to cheer myself up that I'm going to share with you.


ONE
First, find yourself a cute pair of Minnie ears and let your little kid flag fly. I wore mine the entire time, even to dinner and was laughed at many times by my family. So what.

TWO
Since you are going to have to spend time waiting for the people you are with to go on a ride, at least be productive with your time and wait in line for a Dole whip, churro bites with chocolate sauce, cheese filled pretzels, and a giant corn dog or two. Sitting in the shade with a delicious snack is way better than standing in the sun in line for a ride for 40 minutes. {Avoid the humungous turkey leg at all costs though. Those seriously grossed me out. Blahhhh}

THREE
Try to be past your first trimester so at least you have a little bump and people might suspect you're pregnant. Otherwise you're just a weird girl wearing sparkly Minnie ears sitting by herself stuffing her face.


FOUR
When you go to the pool bring some kind of pregnancy book or magazine to read. That way, instead of people looking at you and thinking "that girl is shaped kind of like a jellybean" they will think something like "Oh she's pregnant! How cute!" Or whatever. Also, side note. Spend a little more to stay at a Disney hotel. We stayed at the Grand Californian and it was a-maz-ing. There is a private hotel entrance for guests to get into the park so you don't have to wait in line and it was so nice to be able to quickly go back to the room to change shoes, grab  a sweatshirt, take a nap, etc.


FIVE
There are still tons of rides that you can go on, albeit, most of them are little kid rides but not everything is off limits. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is fun! And, it's possible that people watching in Disneyland is more entertaining that going on any rides at all. Seriously, there are some funky people in this world. Also? Stroller shopping! I seriously became obsessed with strollers on this trip. I was constantly pointing them out to Nick who laughed at me every time. I definitely came home with a wish list.
When you can't go on any rides... take a selfie with your MIL who hates Splash Mountain :)

So, there you have it. I absolutely loved this vacation and was so happy to finally get to spend a couple days in the happiest place on earth. I'm happy that we went before my morning sickness and real food aversions really set in strong. It was so much fun and I couldn't help but imagine our first trip after this little one comes. It will be a while, a few years at least, but I can't wait!

 

1 comment:

  1. so fun that you got to go on a trip!! Glad you were able to modify things for you and your baby!

    ReplyDelete

 

Meet the M's | Template By Rockaboo Design Studio | 2012